Sunday 12 June 2011

Oils Oils Oils

Prior to beginning my hair journey I watched ulovemegz videos on You Tube and noticed how much she incorporates oils into her regimen (http://www.youtube.com/user/ulovemegz) , she uses a variety of oils including castor oil, alma oil and argan oil. If you are interested just search on youtube for her videos. I truly think incorporating oils in a hair regimen is very important and can promote healthy hair. This is how I use my oils:

For Hair Growth:
I use castor oil 2x week, when I first started my journey I would use it 5x week but my scalp would itch! On clean scalp (the morning after I co-wash or shampoo wash) I apply castor oil to my hairline, and divide my hair into quarters and apply it directly to the scalp. I pour a bit on my finger and apply it to the scalp that way. However I may invest in an applicator bottle. I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) and will continue to do so, there are other brands available (e.g Hollywood Beauty) but I'm going to stick wit this one. I do feel my new growth is thicker when I use this oil compared to when I do not.

To Seal:
I always seal with an oil and coconut oil is the best for me. Here is a post from Urban Bush Babes on some of the benefits: http://urbanbushbabes.com/?p=2202 . For me on my HHJ it has given my hair shine and is very moisturising. I use it everyday, I apply a dot sized amount to my palms and rub it through my hair.

To DC:
I feel I have been slacking on my oils recently, so I have added olive oil just 2-3 teaspoons to my DCs in order to be more moisturising. I will see how this goes as I am yet to wash my hair since relaxing on Tuesday.

To Pre-Poo:
I have heard great things about vatika oil (promoting shine and strength) and it is part of Ayurverdic hair care (I've previously done a blog post of that) so I plan to borrow my mum's vatika oil to pre-poo before shampoo washing on Monday. I will apply it directly to my hair the same way I would do a DC and leave for 45 mins -1 hour before washing. Here is a description from Amazon's website about Vatika oil:
Vatika Hair Oil is a delicate mix of pure coconut oil with special hair care herbs including henna, amla and lemon. Blended together to strengthen each strand of hair from within. Vatika provides natural nourishment to your hair. Giving it body and radiance, taking care of the critical balance of nutrients.

To Protect:
Prior to relaxing I apply any of my oils to my previously relaxed ends in order to protect against overlapping. I have heard of some people basing their scalp with oils but I think vaseline provides a stronger defence against burning in my opinion.

Hot Oil Rinses:
I am actually in love with hot oil rinses after doing mine last week at 18 weeks post. Here is what I did:
  1. Pour a bit of oil (I didn't measure but around 2-3 tablespoons of each oil) in a microwavable pot. I chose olive oil and coconut oil
  2. Microwave for 30 seconds
  3. Applied this oil to my hair, by dividing hair into two halves and ensuring each half is coated
  4. Pile my hair on top and cover with a shower cap for 30-45 minutes
  5. Rinse hair, I actually co-washed after but some just rinse hair with warm water
Results- my new growth was so soft and nicely detangled. I feel I will incorporate this into my regimen when my new growth becomes challenging which is around 8 weeks post and just do it 1x week. I loved it and definitely reccommend doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment